Sunday, September 1, 2013

Coolest Beach Yet

Today I had the morning off. But, I still ended up hanging out with the fam. The boys were so excited to show me their faaaaaaavorite thing to do in Maui- "The Swap Meet" http://www.mauiexposition.com/PhotoGallery.html . Its really pretty neat- its like a farmers market/flea market but most of the stands are arts and crafts, ready-to-eat food stands, souveniers and such.

Some highlights:
Delicious raw fresh fruit/veggie juice- I got the "Rejuvenator" which was cucumber, pinapple, kale, coconut, something else and lemon- annnnnd i added ginger because I always add ginger to fresh juice cause its muhhhh favorite.

  WANDS- HAND MADE WANDS! The awesome guy who makes them labels them with the length, type of wood and they EVEN HAVE COMPARTMENTS TO PUT LITTLE PHOENIX FEATHERS IN THEM. OH MY GOD. SO COOL. He told me, "You know, the wand picks you!" I was very attracted to the mango wood one-  I know a few people who will be receiving these for Christmas.

Samosas! - The boys were talkin' these up all week, for good reason. They were delicious! Even came with homemade mango salsa. Yummmyyyyy

Tiki's made by Tau (http://tauwoodcarver.blogspot.com/) - The family met this wonderful man and his wife when they started going to the swap meet a few years ago. One of the boys made a Tiki with Tau last year (all by himself and it is quite incredible, very well done. Proud nanny.) He hand carves all of the tiki's of different types of wood. His wife Tammy makes tapa art which is mulberry wood pounded to make thin, thin paper and then she paints really cool Hawaiian designs on it. Really wonderful people and artisans.

I saw a eno-like hammock that is made in Maui- I think I'll snag one of those next time I'm there so I can post up at the beach easier. Ooooh yeahhhhhhh.


After the swap meet we went to this locals-only-know-about-it beach. It was BEAUTIFUL! No houses, no businesses anywhere near by. There was a little fresh water river right next to the spot we posted up at so the boys could splash around. We found a dead crab. I found really beautiful coral. AND some of it was green and purple! Gorgeous! The babe slept the whollllle time at the beach, he's such a little islander already even at four months. Too cute.

On the drive home we went to this look out point at the base of an awesome hike up a spine of one of the West Maui Mountains. My Kula parents used to live near it and said it was one of their favorite spots. I cannot wait to give it a try!

I went to Yoga again and it was the same instructor. She literally stopped class today and said, "Uhh what is up with everyone's half lift? This is what it is supposed to look like." And always is saying "goood" or "ooh i like.." it makes me feel like she's judging us on whether we're doing 'good' or 'bad'. As soon as my ten days are up I'm going to test out another studio because I am just not jivin' with her and she would teach most of the classes that fit my schedule. It was nice to get exercise but it just doesn't feel like yoga.

Made ice cream with the boys in a vitamix tonight after yoga. It was delicious.

Now its time to rest.

Aloha Pumehana,

Bettyboo

6 comments:

  1. Fresh raw juice in Hawaii sounds amazing! As well as everything else haha. You should look on meetup.com. Maybe some locals have a favorite studio or do sunrise yoga together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love all of the nature talk that you are putting in these posts. From describing the Salt Lakes and Utah mountain ranges to the differences between HI rocks and MI rocks to dead crabs on the beach. I love nature. Keep up the awesome writings you interesting creature!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Its just how my brain works, Ross. I like it hahah

    ReplyDelete
  4. Keep seeking out the little known beaches......

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG just read all of your blog posts (finally had time to catch up). Fancy pizza, kombucha on tap, awesome nature hikes, beautiful sunrises and sunsets everyday, and fantastical wizarding wands!!!!! Not to mention the whole magical nannying gig. You are srsly living the dream. Miss you lots. Glad you are doing well. Extra glad you have this blog. Talk to you soon <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jacq. These wands. You have no idea. They are the most amazing thing ever.

      Delete