Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Rainy Day

The sun came up with blue skies and fluffy clouds.

By one, it was a major rain storm. Thick clouds and wall of heavy loud rain.

By two, it was a light rain with sunshine.

By four, it was a beautiful day again.


Take a lesson from Hawaii; wake up sunny and let the storms pass quickly. When they are gone, let them be gone.



I've been feeling more bonded with the older son lately. Not that we ever had a really bad relationship, but he (being five) has been more resistant to the idea of having a third adult in the house to take direction from.
A few days ago I told him about my sticker books I kept when I was younger. I told him that it was pretty small 'like a pocketbook'. I'd take it with me sometimes and I'd always keep my stickers from teacher, appointments, the firefighters who visited class, church etc. The eldest bro loves stickers just about as much as any five year old and when I told him I'd add that to the list of things I'm thinking about getting him for Christmas, his eyes widened.
I came home from yoga this evening and he ran to the door- 'COME TO THE KITCEHENNNN' He won a prize at an appointment today, "CLOSE YOUR EYES! NOW OPEN THEM! LOOK!" My jaw dropped (we thinks jaw dropping is super funny and get super dramatic, hands and the whole shebang) "I GOT A POCKETBOOOOOOK AT MY APPOINTMENNNNNT!"
"Oh my gosh! I can't believe it- we were just talking about little books that you could put in your pocket yesterday!!!"
We spent the rest of the time before bed-time putting stickers in his book and he drew a few 'halloween' drawings and he wrote a few numbers. This little five year old, man. He is smart. He wrote 10000 and then 100. He pointed at the first and said, "Betsy, this is ten-thousand, right?" Then to the next, "100?" Keep in mind that he goes to a Waldorf school and their kindergarten curriculum does not include writing letters or numbers at all. He can count super high, knows how to write numbers and apparently has some understanding of tplace value. He has also added numbers (like adding five to both of his brother's ages in his head while brushing his teeth and then stating how old they'd actually be in five years after his little bro just made numbers up). He has learned alll of the sounds of the letters and is already sounding out words and writing them with only a little assistance. Brilliant kids. So fun to be around.

Thats all.

Aloha pumehana,

Betsy

No comments:

Post a Comment