Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Postcards

Today I recieved a postcard in the mail from a friend who is traveling across the country to find her new home. It warmed my heart : ) They don't have a new address yet, so, I wrote a bunch of cards to different people I wanted to imagine smilin' when they opened their mailboxes. More to write tomorrow- moving away from a place you love makes you realize how many homies you have. I really love them all, too. I feel so lucky.

Today I spent most of the day with the dudes down in Kihei while their mama got a haircut. I had to divert their eyes and ears from some loud, drunken, seemingly drugged out and wobbly middle aged and old men. I was very angry, to be at a beautiful ocean side playground AT NOON and trying to explain why these half naked grown men were shouting (bad words) while standing about 100 feet from each other about all sorts of nasty things. It ended when one ran away and the other was still screaaaaming "I'M GONNA BEAT YOU, I'M GONNA KILL YOU!" Thankfully, they retreated to opposite sides of the park and we weren't bothered for the rest of our stay. Its okay to have angry feelings, its okay to drink alcohol and its okay to be whoever you are. What I'm not okay with is being soo messed up AT NOON that you are shouting, at the top of your lungs, about really inappropriate business deals and killing people at a PLAYGROUND. I think this was the first time I felt angry in Hawaii.

The rest of our stay was really enjoyable. There was a skatepark near the playground and the three year old and I adventured over to watch the skateboarders. One of the older boys was really nice and came over and said "Hi little guy, wanna try?" He showed him a lot of cool tricks and my little dude was totally fascinated. Because we were barefoot, he didn't hop on the board but he did say "wooowwww, cooooool" about 100 times. When I asked him if he wanted to skateboard when he was older she simply stated, "I can't, we don't have a skateboard" I giggled and said, "Well, when you're older do you think you'll buy one?" He was very concerned about budgeting for one and asked how much I thought it'd cost him- I think he might start saving now haha.

Anyway I'm super exhausted.

Aloha Pumehana,

betty

No comments:

Post a Comment