Thursday, October 3, 2013

Greetings Earthlings

After my morning shift (6AM-9 AM) I went up to my room to get ready. I decided tooooday would be the day to purchase my buddy Gordie's CD. Its on bandcamp and the price is: 'name a price' so there was really nothing stopping me. I enjoyed some sounds of home while prepping for my first real day at the school. He is an incredibly talented musician/singer/songwriter- you should check out his work its wonderful (http://gordonjulian.bandcamp.com/)
Today was my first day subbing at Waldorf! My day consisted of helping three year olds compost and wash dishes/tidying the room/preppin' the lovely lavender water washcloths. Out in the yard, I spent some time playing horsey and contemplating why metal slides are so hot with a little girl and then imagined and discussed how birds use bird baths with some little dudes.
Then, I had lunch and supervised the fifth graders playing basketball during recess. I introduced myself to them and helped them sort out a few fouls and jump balls but for the most part they were pretty independent.
I finished up my day back down with the three year olds (one of my little guys is in this class). I walked in just as they laid down for nap. My job during this time is to snuggle and rub backs and make sure that they are covered with their blankets and rest with them. Besssst part of the day. A classroom full of precious, little sleepy bodies. They wake up when the lead teacher sings a song and plays a few sweet notes on a little xylophone.  The children sit on the porch, sing songs and chat until their parents pick them up.

Here is me before my first day teaching in a dreamy preschool classroom as a graduate. I think its funny that my body is postured so awkwardly- its a perfect 'first day of school' pose. In reality, I was trying to fit in the picture so you could see some of my room without toppling over my bed:



I came home and worked for a bit then went to yoga. Powerful power class tonight.

On my way home, I scooped up some essentials at Longs (basically CVS). Although they have an entire aisle dedicated to assorted Asian foods, hot sauces and spices they do not carry any Mexica hot sauces. In their non-Asian condiment section, I saw ketchup, balsamic vinegar, mustard, a few dressings and no hot sauce. In their chips and dip section I saw weakkkk salsa and queso, no hot sauce. Whaaaaat???? I wanted some super dank super hot hot sauce but I knew I was at a drug store- so I didn't even care if it was cholula, tabsasco or gahhhd forbid franks red hot. Silly. So, I settled for Hawaiian Macadamia Nut choclate ice cream- close enough.

When I got home I was called out on to the back porch. The boys were in the hot tub with their dad and spotted a HUUUUUUUUUGE moth! I don't know what kind it was but it was pretty dang pretty even in the dark.

And that was my day. Now, my night will be shower, reading and snuggling in my not-so-comfy-bed-that-makes-me-miss-my-magical-pillowtop-Lansing-mattress. I need a mattress pad, pronto.

Aloha pumehana,

Bettyboo

3 comments:

  1. First day at your Big Girl Job, YEAH!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I like to think that my nannying is a big girl job even though I play/cook/wipe snot/do housework- they diiiid want my CD degree.
      However, it is quite exciting to be on the payroll at a school; employment that I legally couldn't enjoy without my education. BOOYAH. Lovin' life.

      Delete
  2. FYI, "Big Girl Job" is a phraze stolen from your Sis....and I agree with you about the Nanny Job, but I've always looked at it as being a stepping stone to working at the school....

    ReplyDelete